Deputy Registrar of Vital Statistics
Jane Pankok, CMR
856-935-0372 Ext 213
17 New Market Street, Salem New Jersey 08079
Records Processing Hours: Monday – Friday 9am to 4pm
The Registrar of Vital Statistics Office maintains all Vital Records; Births, Deaths and Marriages that have occurred within the City of Salem dating back to 1859.
SERVICES OF THE REGISTRAR
- Certified copies of Marriages, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships
- Certified copies of Births
- Certified copies of Deaths
- Burial Permits
- Applications and issuance of Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnership
IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED COPY OF A VITAL RECORD, YOU MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Copies can only be obtained by the subject, subject’s parent, legal guardian, or legal representative, subject’s child, grandchild or sibling-all of legal age.
- The person requesting copies must show proof of their relationship and identity. Acceptable identification consists of a valid photo driver’s license or photo non-drivers license, a valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address. Alternate forms of identification with current address; Passport, Vehicle Registration, Insurance Card, Voter Registration, County ID
Payment of fees
There are specific fees for the issuance of certified copies, please contact the Registrar’s office to determine the fee and to answer any questions with respect to these records
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING INTO A MARRIAGE:
Applications for Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships may be obtained Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 9:00am-11:30pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm. For residents of New Jersey the Marriage/Civil Union license must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where either person lives. If neither party is a New Jersey resident, the application must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where the service is to be performed. Both applicants must bring the following information:
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WHEN APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of Residency.
- A copy of your birth certificate to show date of birth and establish your parents’ names.
- Your social security card or social security number.
- If either applicant had been married or in a previous Civil Union, a copy of the divorce decree, proof of dissolution, or death certificate is required.
- Full names and spelling of both sets of parents, including maiden names and places of birth.
- A witness over the age of 18, who knows both applicants.
- Name and mailing address of the officiant performing the ceremony.
- $28.00 application fee.
AFTER YOU APPLY:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. Once the application is issued it is valid for 30 days.
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION APPLICANTS:
- Both applicants and a witness need to be present to complete the application.
- For applicants under the age of 18 years, the consent of both parents is necessary. A consent form can be obtained in this office.
- If both applicants are not residents of New Jersey, they must apply where the ceremony will be performed.
WHERE SHOULD THE MARRIAGE RECORD BE FILED?
The person performing the marriage/civil union ceremony must file the license with the Registrar of the municipality in which the ceremony was performed no later than 5 days after the ceremony.
Certified copies of the event may be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where the ceremony occurred or from the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at (856) 935-0372, ext 215 or 213.