City Departments

Animal Control

Ned Shimp – 856-769-3481

City Clerk

17 New Market Street
Salem New Jersey 08079
856-935-0372 Ext 215
Fax 856-935-4095

Ben Angeli, RMC

Normal Office Hours

MONDAY – FRIDAY from 8:30a – 4:30p

Vital Records

The hours to obtain vital records such as marital, death, birth, etc. and any licensing and permit applications are:

MONDAY – FRIDAY from 9a – 4p

We ask that you please adhere to the hours as we are unable to process before or after the time noted above. Thank you.

The City Clerk under New Jersey Law (N.J.S.A. 40A: 9-133) serves as the Secretary of the Municipal Corporation, Secretary to the Governing Body, Administrative Officer and Chief Registrar of Voters and local Election official, Custodian of public records, and Chief Administrative officer of licenses and permits. The Clerk’s office receives, distributes and assigns all correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and Council.

The City Clerk is responsible for the preparation of the Agenda for the City Council Meetings, and to record and keep the Minutes of the Meetings. The City Clerk is the custodian of the official records of the City and maintains Ordinances, Resolutions, City Budgets, Contracts, Meeting Minutes, Performance Bonds, Maintenance Bonds, Filed City Deeds, Financial Disclosure Forms, and Calendar of Meeting Dates.


  • Voter Registration Information
  • Primary, General, and Special Elections
  • Copies of Resolutions, Ordinances and Municipal Codes
  • Licenses-ABC Liquor Licenses
  • One Day Social Affairs Applications and Permits
  • Catering Applications and Permits
  • Solicitors/Vendors Applications and Permits
  • Entertainment Applications and Permits
  • Bingos/Raffle Applications and Licenses
  • Coin Toss, Parade, Circus etc. Applications and Permits
  • Municipal Searches for Improvement
  • OPRA-Open Public Records Custodian
  • Notary Public Services

The following applications require Governing Body approval and State approval; the City Clerk’s office can explain the details pertaining to each:

  • Social Affairs Permit Applications for use by non-profit organizations to serve alcoholic beverages at an event open to the public are accessible below under “Forms” or available in the City Clerk’s Office and require City Council and State approval with fees to be paid to the State of New Jersey.
  • Catering Permit Applications for use by a Plenary Retail Consumption Licensee catering an event to serve alcoholic beverages are accessible below under “Forms” or available in the City Clerk’s Office and require City Council and State approval with fees to be paid to the State of New Jersey. Catering Permits must be for a Single, Special, and Non-Recurring Purposes. If the area on which the alcoholic beverages will be sold and served is contiguous to or adjoins the licensees’ premises, an Extension of Premises Permit, rather than a Catering Permit, must be obtained.
  • Raffle/Bingo License – Any Organization applying for a Raffle/Bingo License must have an Identification /Registration Certificate issued by the State of New Jersey, Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission. Organizations wishing to hold an event within the City must be approved by City Council and the State before a license can be issued for the event. There are fees required by both the City and the State and are based on the type of raffle event to be held.Raffle/Bingo applications are accessible below under “Forms” or available in the City Clerk’s Office. Applications shall be filed in quadruplicate with the City Clerk and the Registration Certificate must be provided with each application. Following approval of the City Council, the City Clerk files the application with Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (LGCCC) within three days of its approval. The City Clerk may not issue the License for fourteen (14) days after its approval. This means that organizations may not have tickets printed until at least 2 weeks after the approval.

    City Engineer

    The Salem city engineering consultant is Remington & Vernick.

    Construction Office

    Effective October 3rd, 2011 the Office of Local Code Enforcement of the State of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs will handle the Construction Office and Permitting for the City of Salem under the Uniform Construction Code. (Please note CO inspections for existing structures including rental unit occupancy change and home sales; existing housing code violations; tall grass and zoning issues are handled by the City’s Department of Inspections & Permits, not the Construction Office).

    Construction Office hours will be every Wednesday from 1:00 to 3:00. in the Salem City Construction Code Office at the 17 New Market Street, Salem.​

    Questions can be directed at any time to DCA’s Regional Office in Hammonton located at 852 South White Horse Pike, Hammonton, New Jersey 08037. Telephone number is 609.567.3653 and the FAX number is 609.704.1510. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

    • Salem City Construction Code Official – Patrick Zingaro
    • Building Subcode Official/Inspector – Mark Monaco
    • Electrical Subcode Official/Inspector – Ted Morris
    • Plumbing Subcode Official/Inspector – Dennis LaSassa
    • Fire Subcode Official/Inspector – Mike Scardino

    Applications may also be taken to the Mannington Township Construction Office on Wednesdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Mannington office is located at 491 Route 45, Mannington, New Jersey 08079.

    Inspections in the City of Salem will be conducted on our regularly scheduled day for the City of Salem, which is Wednesday.

    Inspections are scheduled through the DCA Regional Office in Hammonton, New Jersey by calling 609.567.3653. Please have the permit number, block and lot information, address and phone number available when rescheduling the inspections.

    Zoning Permit Application and Zoning Map can be downloaded on the Public Documents page under Legal Documents.

    Inspection and Permits

    Housing Office: 856-395-5510.

    The City of Salem DOES NOT require a Certificate of Occupancy (“C/O”) be obtained prior to the transfer of title to real property.

    However, a new owner will NOT be permitted to occupy, or allow  or suffer the property to be occupied UNTIL a valid inspection is performed and a valid C/O is obtained.

    There is no legal requirement that the Buyer acknowledge this legality in advance. However, as a Seller, it would be in your best interest to notify the BUYER as to the existence of this information.

    If the Salem City Housing Office determines that a property is being occupied WITHOUT a current and valid C/O, a complaint will be filed in municipal court against the CURRENT owner of the property.

    Please feel free to contact the housing office if you have any questions or need any further information.


    Municipal Court

    129 West Broadway; Salem, NJ 08079
    Main: 856-935-1734  |  Fax: 856-935-0319

    Municipal Court Administrator

    Tierra M. Jennings – 856-935-1734 Ext. 605 |

    Deputy Court Administrator

    Dawn Mizenis – 856-935-1734 Ext. 604 |

    Municipal Court Prosecutor

    Lindsey Watson-Mccarthy – (856) 546-1350 |
    313 White Horse Pike, Haddon Heights, Nj 08035


    The Salem City Court Office is open to the public:
    Monday-Thursday: from 9:00am-4:00pm (Closed for Lunch from 12:00pm-1:00pm)
    Friday: Office is closed


    Salem City Court does not accept debit or credit as a form of payment. Only check, cash, or money order is accepted. However, if you are making a payment for a traffic matter, you can visit our website at and use debit/credit on the site.

    Court Sessions

    Court sessions are held 1st and 3rd Tuesdays a month starting at 9am. (Months with an * will commence on 2nd and 4th Tuesday due to holiday.)

    Virtual sessions ONLY until further notice

    January * – 10th, 24th
    February – 7th, 21st
    March – 7th, 21st
    April – 4th, 18th
    May – 2nd, 16th
    June – 6th, 20th
    July * – 11th, 25th
    August – 1st, 15th
    September – 5th, 19th
    October – 3rd, 17th
    November * – 14th, 28th
    December – 5th, 12th


    Lindsey Watson-Mccarthy, Prosecutor is available for meetings with no prior appointment required on all designated court days in the Municipal Court Prosecutor’s Office located in the rear of the courthouse. Pursuant to R. 7:7-7, all requests for discovery must be directed to the Prosecutor, not to the Court Administrator. Please email any such request to the Prosecutor at: .


    Recycling Coordinator – Ben Angeli

    Are you confused regarding all the new rules for recycling?

    Recycle Pro, also known as the Certified Recycling Coordinator for Camden County, Brian Constantino, breaks down recycling requirements in an easy to understand way in the videos located here:

    Attention Salem City Residents – Effective Immediately

    No recycling materials are to be put in plastic bags of any color or size. Recycling materials must be placed in an open container such as a trash can that can be dumped into the recycling truck. That container must have drainage holes in the bottom so that the container does not hold water. Any non-recycling materials found in the container will result in the entire container being rejected.

    This policy is being enforced at the recycling plant that the City uses for collection. The plant will reject our loads if we do not comply which will result in additional cost to the City to dispose of the rejected materials.

    Also, no money will be taken at the Salem City Recycling Center for bulk items. If you plan on bringing bulk items to the recycling center, they must be paid for in advance.

    Important Notes

    The size of your trash container must not exceed 40 pounds and the bags should not be any larger than a 32 gallon bag.

    Please understand that exceeding these limits presents a problem for the hauler and its employees, but is also against the specifications outlined by the NJDEP:

    • Trash containers over the 32 gallon size and/or 40 pound weight limit will not be collected by the hauler.
    • All trash must be in a bag with a fully displayed trash sticker.
    • All recyclables must be in a container or be bagged.

    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to your cooperation. If you have any questions please contact our office 856-935-5510 x 208.


    The convenience center located at 515 Grieves Parkway and is open on Saturday mornings from 8:00 am until 12:00 pm.


    1. Glass
    2. Aluminum
    3. Tin Cans
    4. Paper
    5. Plastic (Note: Items 1-5 can all be mixed together)
    6. Cardboard (must be in a separate container. No bundles are to exceed 40 pounds. Hold on wet days.
    7. Oil – you can bring waste oil to the convenience center and dispose in the holding drum. Used Oil can also be recycled at the Advance Auto store on East Broadway.
    8. Leaves, branches and bushes are to be cut in 5’ lengths. Leaves and brush are to be placed in separate plastic bags. Grass clippings are no longer accepted
    9. Bulk items – Refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, furniture etc. can be discarded at the Convenience Center for a fee of $5.00 or five stickers. Pick-up of bulk items can be arranged by calling the Treasurer’s Office at 856.935.0372 by 3:30 p.m. on the Thursday prior to pick up. Pick up days are Fridays. Notices: Bulk items are NOT to be placed on the curbside more than 24 hours in advance of the pickup schedule. Fencing will be picked up if it is less than 20’ in length.
    10. Tires – Tires can NOT be accepted at the Convenience Center. They must be taken to the Salem County Utilities Authority Landfill in Mannington. Call in advance at 856.935.7900 for acceptance schedules and regulations.
    11. Batteries – Automobile batteries will be accepted at the Convenience Center.
    12. Building Materials are the owner’s responsibility for disposal. Contractor or Commercial hauler must dispose of material at the Salem County Utilities Authority.
    13. Propane Tanks are accepted at a $5.00 fee per tank.
    14. No household trash will be accepted at the convenience center at any time.
    15. Used motor oil and anti-freeze will be accepted at the convenience center.


    • 1ST AND 3RD WEDNESDAY – North side of Broadway, Front, Fourth, Fifth, Market, Seventh, Ninth, Johnson, North Union, North Elm, Keasbey, Roe,  Allen, Craven, Morrison, Fenwick, Grant, Eighth, Gibbon, Pearl, Pledger, Hubbell, Hancock, Howell, Ward, Griffith and Anderson Drive
    • 2ND AND 4TH WEDNESDAY – South side of Broadway, South Front, Tilbury Road, Grieves Parkway, West Side Court, South Third, Thompson, Carpenter, Hedge, Miller, Oak, Chestnut, Delaware Avenue, Morningside Drive, Pine, Plasket, Spruce, Crossland, Cook, Victory, Chestnut Terrace Apartments, Walnut, Meadowside, Wesley, Smith, Vanmeter, Maple, New Market, Belden, Church, Sinnickson, Olive, Union, Magnolia, Elm, Davis, Hillcrest, Yorke, Glen Ridge Avenue, Afton Drive, Stratford Drive, Kent, Salem Manor and Whispering Waters, Eakin Street, Linden


    Note: It is a disorderly persons offense to cut stickers in half or less.


    Deputy Registrar of Vital Statistics

    Jane Pankok, CMR
    856-935-0372 Ext 213

    17 New Market Street, Salem New Jersey 08079

    Records Processing Hours: Monday – Friday 9am to 4pm

    The Registrar of Vital Statistics Office maintains all Vital Records; Births, Deaths and Marriages that have occurred within the City of Salem dating back to 1859.


    • Certified copies of Marriages, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships
    • Certified copies of Births
    • Certified copies of Deaths
    • Burial Permits
    • Applications and issuance of Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnership


    • Copies can only be obtained by the subject, subject’s parent, legal guardian, or legal representative, subject’s child, grandchild or sibling-all of legal age.
    • The person requesting copies must show proof of their relationship and identity. Acceptable identification consists of a valid photo driver’s license or photo non-drivers license, a valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address. Alternate forms of identification with current address; Passport, Vehicle Registration, Insurance Card, Voter Registration, County ID

    Payment of fees

    There are specific fees for the issuance of certified copies, please contact the Registrar’s office to determine the fee and to answer any questions with respect to these records


    Applications for Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships may be obtained Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 9:00am-11:30pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm.  For residents of New Jersey the Marriage/Civil Union license must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where either person lives. If neither party is a New Jersey resident, the application must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where the service is to be performed. Both applicants must bring the following information:


    • Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
    • Proof of Residency.
    • A copy of your birth certificate to show date of birth and establish your parents’ names.
    • Your social security card or social security number.
    • If either applicant had been married or in a previous Civil Union, a copy of the divorce decree, proof of dissolution, or death certificate is required.
    • Full names and spelling of both sets of parents, including maiden names and places of birth.
    • A witness over the age of 18, who knows both applicants.
    • Name and mailing address of the officiant performing the ceremony.
    • $28.00 application fee.


    There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. Once the application is issued it is valid for 30 days.


    • Both applicants and a witness need to be present to complete the application.
    • For applicants under the age of 18 years, the consent of both parents is necessary. A consent form can be obtained in this office.
    • If both applicants are not residents of New Jersey, they must apply where the ceremony will be performed.


    The person performing the marriage/civil union ceremony must file the license with the Registrar of the municipality in which the ceremony was performed no later than 5 days after the ceremony.

    Certified copies of the event may be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality where the ceremony occurred or from the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics.

    If you have any questions, please contact our office at (856) 935-0372, ext 215 or 213.


    The Streets Department is responsible for maintaining city streets, snow plowing, and leaf pickup. It is located at 515 Grieves Parkway.

    Tax Department

    Tax Collector

    William McCafferty, CTC – 856-935-0372
    17 New Market Street; Salem, New Jersey 08079

    Tax Assessor

    Marie Procacci – 856-935-2024
    Consultations or information available on THURSDAY afternoons between noon and 4:30pm.

    The Salem City Tax Assessor’s office maintains records of all real property valuation assessments within the city, and complies with state law regarding fair and equitable assessments.

    Property Taxes

    Property taxes are due every February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1.

    Failure to receive a tax bill does not make you exempt from paying taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes. The City of Salem permits a 10-day grace period. After the grace period has passed, interest will be charged back to the due date.

    Please be advised that the State of New Jersey does not allow the tax collector to acknowledge postmarks, therefor all payments must be received in the office on or before the 10th. The only exception would be if the 10th falls on a weekend or legal holiday, in which case the taxpayer would then have until the next business day to make payment.

    As a calendar year municipality, our budget year runs from January 1st to December 31st. As of December 31st, any balances still owing will be considered delinquent and subject to tax sale.

    Interest Rate
    The City of Salem has adopted by resolution an interest rate of 8% for the first $1,500 of delinquency and 18% for any delinquency over $1,500, as allowed per state statute N.J.S.A. 54:4-67, as well as a 6% year-end penalty on any balance owing as of June 30th in excess of $10,000.

    City Own Properties Including Foreclosures PDF

    Water & Sewer

    Cindy Edwards
    856-935-0469 and 856-935-0350

    19 South Front Street, Salem NJ

    Salem Lead Service Line Inventory for Salem Water Department

    Water Quality Reports

    Reports and Analysis of the City of Salem’s Water and Sanitary Sewer Systems

    Click link to download PDF: