What are your business hours?
   The City Treasurer's office at 17 New Market Street is open from 8:30am to 12 Noon, then from 1pm to 4pm, Monday through Friday. We are closed on normal city holidays. Call 935-0372
Can I pay my taxes online?
   Yes, you can pay your taxes and utility payments online, at this link: Pay Taxes Online
When are my taxes due?
   Taxes are paid four times a year - February 1, May 1, August 1 & November 1.
When is my water and sewer bill due?
   Water meters are read twice a year. Exactly when depends on your street address.If you would like to know the exact date, please call the Water & Sewer Department at 935-0469.
Can I pay my tax or utility bill with a credit card?
    Unfortunately, at this time the city is not set up to accept credit/debit cards. You can pay with a personal check or cash.  Or use the online link as shown above.
I didn't get a water bill. Do I still have to pay?
   Yes. Non-delivery of a bill by the Post Office does not release you from the obligation to pay. Every address in the city has a water meter and is billed for its' water usage. Please come to the Annex at 17 New Market if you did not get a bill.
I own a property, but it's vacant. How come I still get a bill?
    Unless the water has been turned off in the street, you are still charged the minimum for a metered account.
Where can I buy trash stickers?
   Trash stickers can be purchased at the 49 Deli, Salem Liquor, Parkers Jewelers, the Beverage Mart, Kurt's Liquors, the Sunoco Gas station on Broadway, and at the Annex office during our regular business hours. By the way, it is ILLEGAL for a retail establishment to charge more than $1.00 for a trash sticker.
Where do I report a nuisance, like a vacant property or a trashy lot?
     Come to the Annex office, or call the Housing Inspector, Carol Wright at 935-0372, x209
Will the pool be open this year?
      We expect to open the pool around Memorial Day weekend, as before. ( As of September 4th, the Pool has closed for the 2017 season. Thanks to all who helped out, participated, and worked to open and maintain the pool. See you in 2018!)
I need a copy of my birth certificate - where do I go?
    The City Clerk maintains birth certificates for anyone born in the city of Salem up until September of 1951. If you were born AFTER that date, you must go to the Mannington Township Building, on Route 45 next to the Mannington School.
Where can I get a marriage license?
     The city clerk's office, at 17 New Market Street, is where you can get birth, death, marriage, or other legal certifications and licenses. More Information is HERE
Where do I pay a parking ticket I got in the city of Salem?
     At the municipal court location, in the Police Station building at 137 East Broadway.
I think my house should be on the register of Historic Places. Who do I contact for the paperwork?
     You can actually download and print a copy of the application, which has all necessary instructions.
How do I file a tax appeal?
    Come to the City Annex to pick up the required paperwork, and we will show you what you need to do.
Who put the bomp in the bomp-shh-bomp-shh-bomp?
      Who put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong?